Selecting a database for development

From: <green_man_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:33:14 GMT

I have a new development project involving storage and manipulation of transaction records - total data will be in <20 tables, with fields in total <400, records perhaps <100,000

Typically I would use Access/VBA/VB for such a development, and this is where my expertise is. Before I go right ahead, I thought I would look around and see what other options exist.

If I were to use an Oracle database for data storage....

  1. What development tools would I require
  2. What are host requirements for a program storing data in Oracle. So far I have developed around Microsoft Office, which has the benefit of being almost everywhere
  3. How transferable will VB and SQL knowledge be
  4. Access and Excel can be used to access data in various types of database, so could be used here - what are the other front end options with Oracle

thanks in advance Received on Thu Feb 15 2001 - 17:33:14 CST