Re: Meaning of term projection

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:48:04 +0000

doug edmunds wrote:

> Can someone pls tell me what the meaning
> of 'projection' is in an Oracle context?
>
> Also, where they found that information?
>
> thx

A projection is a select in which not all of the columns of a table are selected.

I believe that this term was first used in E.F. Codd's original paper on RDBMS entitled "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks" that was published in 1970. In any event if you are learning about RDBMS you should download this paper from www.acm.org/classic/nov85/

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one