dynamic queries under oci

From: Ben Newman <ben_at_no.spam.velara.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:21:36 GMT

Can someone help me understand the steps that need to be taken executing dynamic sql under OCI?

Specifically, suppose I want to execute "select * from foo" where I have no prior information about the select list. Suppose also that there are no user-defined types: they are all guaranteed to be number, character or date data.

Do I need to use callbacks? Is it true that I can simply prepare and execute the query without allocating storage beforehand? Who is responsible for freeing memory that an OCI call allocates?

Perhaps someone can reccommend a book on the subject: I can't seem to get anywhere with the documentation Oracle provides.

--b Received on Mon Feb 12 2001 - 08:21:36 CST