Performance issue while read a complete table, using perl interface DBI

From: mric <mric_at_spamoffclub-internet.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:36:31 +0100

 Hi everyone,

I'm trying to export a complete table (select * from table) to a flat file as fast as possible than oracle 'll permit. I'm using the perl module interface DBD::Oracle to do the job, but the performance issues that I encouter
seems to be valid into sqlplus too.

My problem is that the mecanism of blocks from datafile to sga is done, and I don't know how to squeeze this
part of oracle internals, that are not needed in my case. I just need one time to get the entire table (about 1Go
total extents size).... no need of cache, just extract all the blocks for a table.

Export seems to do what is needed (direct read from datafiles with high physicals reads actiovity ), but how can I do this with another interfaces. I just take a look around OCI facilities to bypass mapping block to complex SGA structures
(lots of buffer chains latches activity during my export ), and I don't find anything, may I miss something ? They must be somewhere an API to act like Export seems ...

I often need to extract data on that way (may or bad is not my question) : from table into flat file (sqlldr direct mode is so fast ....), I'll be glad for any suggestions, especially those using perl ,-)

Thanks a lot and may the force be with all people running big databases around the world ,-)

++ mric
Aymeric Barantal -- DBA @ Club-Internet / T-Online France http://www.club-internet.fr Received on Mon Feb 12 2001 - 10:36:31 CST