how to work with 8ilite on a stand-alone notebook/PC?

From: Karl-Stephan Werkmeister <kastwerk_at_web.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:43:05 +0100

Hi,

I'm a newbie - and at the moment, I'm not much interested in the administration of Oracle but in learning SQL. I use the 8i Enterprise Ed. at work and I haven't got any problems with installing and using it. But when I installed 8i Lite (v4.0.1 and also without any problems) on a stand-alone notebook I couldn't get any access to neither the pre-installed POLite database nor a new created one.
The network installation is o.k. but I get nothing but an 'ORA-12203' error message when I try to connect. It seems as if there isn't any proper listeners running.
There are some major differences between Enterprise and Lite Edition. I can't find a tsnlsnr.exe in the Lite edition but only a olitmr40.exe that is launched on start-up (does this one starts the listener(s)?). But it seems that I can't do anything with this file manually (except starting it of course).
I *did* read in the docs and faqs - but most times they are related to the Standard and Enterprise Edition and sometimes they can't be used for the Lite Edition.
I've tried a lot. I created and configured (new) services with EasyConfig (on several ports). I used Net8 Assitant to configure listeners that are listening on these ports. I used the Navigator to configure the existing and also to create new databases. And there aren't many thing that could be done wrong here (they have to fit to the service and the listener, that's all, isn't it?). I tried the logins for the Lite Edition (SYS/'NULL' and SCOTT/tiger) and also the logins for the Enterprise Edition (SYSTEM/change_on_install) and a lot more in every combination.

Unfortunately, the documentation doesn't tell anything about this problem. According to it I should be able to connect to the default 'POLite' database after having installed the package without any modifications (and that's the way it works with the Enterprise Edition - no problems at all).

I also checked the entries in the 'listener.ora' and the 'tnsnames.ora' and they seem to be o.k.

I'm only a layman - so if anybody sees a stupid fault of mine - please let me know.
Am I completely wrong and the Lite version is not intended to be usded on stand-alone machines?

Thanks for your help

Stephan Received on Mon Feb 12 2001 - 15:43:05 CST