Re: Personal Oracle 8i:HELP!!!

From: Mark T. Kelly <mkel2001_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:45:42 -0800

I recently downloaded the same version from Oracle and had the same error trying to log in to the sample database. I was also unable to create a new database. I uninstalled (what a mess, can't they write the program with a COMPLETE uninstall feature?) and re-installed about four times, with the same result. I think the source files may be corrupt, either from Oracle's website, or through the download process. Fortunately, I have several other machines available to me with Win2K installed. I obtained a copy of Oracle 8i from another source and successfully installed it this weekend.

I checked with several others about this problem and it was suggested that I might have a corrupt registry, fixed by re-installing Win98. I haven't take the time to try this to see if it works. I'd suggest trying to get Oracle 8 and try it. There is a book, the Complete SQL Reference, that has a copy of Oracle 8 included. I was able to install this on the Win98 machine with no problems.