Re: Database update problem Visio 2000 SR1, Oracle 8i, Win2K

From: Pavan Muzumdar <pmuzumdar_at_mvsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:32:19 GMT

> Hi Pavan,
>
> You may be able to help me here rather than me help you !! I am using
> Visio professional with the database modeller but am unable to get the
> connection to the ORACLE (odbc is there - just don't know how to get to
> it through visio) and build the database. Could you let me know the
> steps you have to go through to build your database from scratch from
> the visio diagram ?

Hi Robert:

The problem may be in the fact that you are using Visio 2000 Professional. Visio professional only connects to the database in order to reverse engineer a schema. But it doesn't have the capability to generate a brand new schema.

The first step you would have to take is to upgrade from Visio Professional to Visio Enterprise. Enterprise has menu options to generate, update, etc. through a live database connection. Assuming you have the Oracle ODBC driver installed correctly, invoking the "Generate" selection on the "Database" menu will get you there.

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases depending on the Opsys and other factors, the upgrade doesn't go smoothly. My recommendation would be to have the Microsoft Visio knowledge base site open and if at all possible, just completely uninstall Professional and install Enterprise after that.

Another good site with a lot of tips on Visio 2000 install problems is www.diagramantics.com.

Hope that helps,

Good Luck!

Pavan Muzumdar Received on Tue Feb 06 2001 - 08:32:19 CST