Re: HELP: LOB objects in SQL queries

From: <thomaschang99_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:52:49 GMT

I guess using Oracle replication is not an option for you, otherwise, it would have worked.
LOBs, as well as other datatypes, are fully supported by oracle replication.

Well, what you can do is to write plsql procedures and use the DBMS_LOB interface to read/write lob data once you get the locator. If you can give me specific example of how powerBuilder is used, I may be able to help you more.

Thanks
Thomas

In article <3a766bb5.43334671_at_news.de.colt.net>,   tueben.uwe_at_terrific.de (Uwe Tueben) wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm trying to "back up" an Oracler database scheme by simply moving
> all data to a mirror database using PowerBuilder "DataPipelines"
> (program objects based on SQL queries which can move data from a
> source database to a target according to predefined rules).
>
> My problem: There are two tables with CLOB(4000) columns in my
> database scheme and these columns can not be integrated into SQL
> queries within the PowerBuilder environment.
>
> Although I don't know much about the physical structure of Oracle
> databases I've read that only a LOB locator is stored in a LOB column.
> The LOB object or value is stored elsewhere. I guess that this might
> be the reason for my problem.
>
> Can anybody give me a hint how to move LOB data the way I want to do
> it? For example it would be fine if I could convert the CLOB(4000)
> columns to VARCHAR2(4000) columns.
>
> Oh, by the way: The source database is Oracle 8.1.5, the target 8.0.4
> (which will be migrated to 8.1.6 in during the next days).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Uwe.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Feb 06 2001 - 01:52:49 CST