Connect By / Hierarchy help

From: James Alexander Starritt <james_at_jamesstarritt.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:21:05 -0600

I created the following SQL statement to display a heirarchy listing from a database.

select lpad(' ',level*2,' ') || lower(term1_1) as term from thesaurus
start with term1_1 = 'hardwood'
connect by broader_id = prior class_id

It works great but items on a similar level are not sorted in alphabetical order and I would like them to be. There are over 25,000 terms within this listing. If I user order by it either complains or the tree does not appear the way it should, I get output listing the terms in alphabetical order by they lose their parent and children records.

I can't change the structure of the table, so I assuemed I could create a view that would suck all the records out and place them in a specific order. Order By and Create View won't work together..... this can't be impossible .... what other options do I have here ?

--

James Alexander Starritt (james_at_jamesstarritt.com)