Re: begginer - select first X records

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:35:49 -0600

Please check deja for similar requests, this may be the most asked question in this group:

There is no such thing as the FIRST x records in an Oracle database...as a relational database the storage order of records is indeterminate, so there is no way to 'designate' a FIRST ( or a LAST for that matter)...To retrieve a limited set of sorted data, try:
[ in 8.1 and above only, I believe]
Select * from (select * from files order by f_date desc) where rownum < 11;