Re: HELP!!!! ERROR ORA-00322

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:47:26 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> I'd be more than happy to oblige, but (and forgive the shouting -this
 is
> addressed to more than you)
>
> DO YOU HONESTLY EXPECT ME TO CHECK UP ON EVERY ORACLE ERROR MESSAGE
 NUMBER
> TO FIND OUT FOR SURE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?????????
>
> WHAT THE *&^*% IS WRONG WITH INCLUDING THE ERROR MESSAGE
 TEXT????????????

> In all seriousness, those of us using NT at home do not need to be
 pitied,
> despite the rumours, but we DO NOT have access to "oerr ora" commands
 to see
> immedaitely what error message you are talking about (and yes I know
 it can
> be fudged with fancy SQL commands -that's not the issue). All I can
 do at
> that point is decide whether the story sounds prima facie
 interesting, and
> if it is, to dodge over to technet.oracle.com to find out what is
 involved.
> Most appeals for help are going to fail that basic test.... but they
> wouldn't need to pass it if they could only include the sodding error
> message!
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> "Setiawan Wijaya" <swsan_at_flashmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I just install the Oracle 8i R.2 in my home. And I got error
 message when
> > i'm startup the database and list an error message ORA-00322...
> >
> > I don't have the backup, and try to read the documentation to reset
 the
> > online redo log and try to drop it and still not working.
> >
> > Please help me to fix this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Setiawan Wijaya

I must agree with Howard; it is far more helpful to include not only the error number but also the error message text. Error numbers can be transposed resulting in a non-existant error.

Apparently you have an online redo log that is not matched with your other redo logs; the log sequence threads do not match across the redo log set. Have you tried to open the database with the RESETLOGS option? You cannot use a generic startup to accomplish this; the following steps should be executed to open your database and reset the redo logs:

          SVRMGR> connect sys/<pass> as sysdba;
          Connected.
          SVRMGR> startup nomount;
          SVRMGR> alter database mount;
          Statement processed.
          SVRMGR> alter database open resetlogs;

Since you state there is no backup to restore from you cannot replace the errant redo log file from tape. My guess is that there is nothing in your database at the moment; you might do well to drop the current database and create a new instance.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com