Re: Oracle 8i RowID help

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:40:52 GMT

Barry,

> Since I have not gotten any repsonses, is there a better forum for my
> question? Or a different approach for accessing the the last record
> inserted (rather than by rowid)?

From the timestamps on my newsreader, your two posts were roughly 18 hours apart. Please try to remember that this newsgroup is read on a volunteer basis. Sometimes it takes a while before you can get an answer. Metalink, Technet, or Oracle Support are *often* faster (although we've all seen that this is not necessarily the case).

> > sprintf(rowidPtr, "%.8X.%.4X.%.4X",

I'm no OCI expert by any means...but the code above appears to me to mean that the ROWID is of the format xxxxxxxx.yyyy.zzzz which is the Oracle 7 ROWID format. The ROWID format changed in Oracle 8 and is still the same in Oracle 8i. Instead of three components, there are now four. In Oracle 7, the three components were Block#, Row#, File# or bbbbbbbb.rrrr.ffff. In Oracle 8, the four components are Object#, Relative File #, Block#, Row# or something like oooooooo.ffff.bbbbbbbb.rrrr (I'm not sure about the field lengths). You'll need to consult the Oracle docs for more help.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at