Re: Reference Book

From: Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:50:03 GMT

Just want to second Niall's recommendation of Jonathan's book (Practical Oracle8i). It is truly unique when compared to every other Oracle book I've read. Most of the offerings out there cover syntax and an explanation of Oracle's features. Jonathan's book actually goes into the advantages and disadvantages of the features within the context of different designs. It is often said that there is no 1 size fits all database design. This book openly recognizes this and offers excellent advice.

Matt.

In article <959d6u$1t3$1_at_soap.pipex.net>,   "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
> essentials
>
> The DBA Handbook (Kevin Loney)
> Oracle 8i:The Complete Reference
>
> also highly recommended (I've finished it now) for db designers
>
> Practical Oracle 8i (Jonathan Lewis)
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
>
> <robertboyle_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am on the lookout for a good reference book for ORACLE 8i (8.1.6).
> > Has anyone any suggestions, I have ORACLE UNLEASHED by SAMS
 Publishing
> > but that only covers ORACLE 7 and I need a reference to the new
> > functionality in 8i. Something similar to UNLEASHED would be
 perfect
> > but SAMS don't seem to have one for 8i.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Robert