Re: Newbie: ORA-01653 and ORA-01119

From: Richard <huddler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 18:50:48 GMT

In article <95c9d8$2am$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, markp7832_at_my-deja.com says...
> In article <MPG.14e36348da7ccc259897fc_at_news.earthlink.net>,
> Richard <huddler_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Oracle Enterprise 8.1.5
> > SPARC 2.7 64 bit
> >
> > Getting the error message
> >
> > > ORA-01653: unable to extend table SYS.TCAS_TCPPKTDATA
> > > by 12137 in tablespace SYSTEM
> >
> > when attempting to insert records into a database. Inserts are done
 via
> > ODBC and JDBC, and were working with no problems until we hit some
 wall
> > and started getting ORA-01653 two days ago.
> >
> > The datafile storage is on path /data/oracledb/oradata/TCAS. /data
 is
> > the sole partition on a very large disk. 16 GB of that space is
> > currently AVAILABLE.
> >
> > When I attempt to use the SQLPLUS interfact the ALTER TABLESPACE ADD
> > DATAFILE, I get ORA-01119 (no space on device). I directly specify
 the
> > '/data/oracledb/oradata/TCAS/<datafile>.dbf' -- but I still get an
 ORA-
> > 01119. (There's 16 GB free on that device. I don't get it.)
> >
> > When I attempt to simply resize the datafile
> > '/data/oracledb/oradata/TCAS/system01.dbf' I get a file not found
 error.

> > I can list that file, currently sized at 183+ MB. I'm very sure I'm
> > typing correctly.
> >
> > I am going quite nuts over this. Any help greatly appreciated.

> Ignoring the fact you apparently have user objects in the system
> tablespace under the SYS id...

(I didn't build the database, I just have to solve this problem.)

> ....since you have space on the disk, have you
> checked to see if you have filled the OS level file system? You did
> not specifiy how you are checking the space and maybe it is something
> simple. Have you checked the ulimit for the Oracle account? Was the
> database built on conventional files or were links to raw partitions
> used requiring you to first create another link and add it to the
> database?

/data is the sole mount point on the device. df -k shows 16+ GB available--3% used--on /data.

/data/oracledb/oradata/TCAS is where the data files are.

I don't believe it's an OS file system problem.

I'll check the ulimit, though. Thanks for the "is it plugged in?" reminder.

--
No one dies wishing they'd spent more time at the office.

This post simply contains some of my personal opinions.
ObURL:  http://home.earthlink.net/~huddler