Newbie: ALTER TABLESPACE errors

From: Richard <huddler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 18:12:16 GMT

Oracle Enterprise 8.1.5
SPARC 2.7 64 bit

I'm trying to diagnose an ORA-01653 error generated in response to ODBC and JDBC processes inserting records into a database. It worked fine for about a week, up until two days ago.

The process logs say:

> ORA-01653: unable to extend table SYS.TCAS_TCPPKTDATA
> by 12137 in tablespace SYSTEM

When I attempt to use the SQLPLUS interfact the ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE, I get ORA-01119 (no space on device). I directly specify the '/data/oracledb/oradata/TCAS/<datafile>.dbf' -- but I still get an ORA- 01119.

/data is mounted to the sole partition on the physical device, and 'df -k' confirms there's 16GB FREE and AVAILABLE on that device.

When I attempt to simply resize the datafile '/data/oracledb/oradata/TCAS/system01.dbf' I get a file not found error.

I can 'ls' that file, currently sized at 183+ MB. I'm very sure I'm typing correctly when attempting to resize the datafile.

I am going quite nuts over this. Any help greatly appreciated.

--
No one dies wishing they'd spent more time at the office.

This post simply contains some of my personal opinions.
ObURL:  http://home.earthlink.net/~huddler