Re: SSL & PL/SQL

From: <plyons_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:20:51 GMT

Yes, it can be done.

You will need to license the Advanced Security Option. At a LIST cost of $120 per named user or $15 per Universal Power Unit. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on existing contracts, $ purchases, etc......

To authenticate the server to the clients thru SSL, you'll need to get an X.509 cert and install it on your Oracle (assuming 8i here) server's wallet. To use strong authentication for your clients, you'll need to install the X.509 certs there as well. Configuration will look different if using the Entrust PKI infrastructure, but concepts will be the same. This setup also provides encryption as well.

What to watch out for? Well, if you are going to incorporate an Oracle Connection Manger into your environment (not unreasonable for an Internet / Extranet environment), then you will have problems routing the SSL traffic through CM. I don't believe it works. If someone knows differently, please let me know. In this (C.M.) case, you will have other options, for example, use Oracle Advanced Security with kerberos authentication. This will provide strong authentication and encryption as well. The encryption is moved up the stack and thus is routable through Connection Manager (C.M.).

In short, it's workable - just not as e-z as looks in the marketing docs.

In article <ofFd6.3528$wb7.86191_at_news1.mts.net>,   "Joseph Ranseth" <jransethNO_SPAM_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> How do I do it? Can it be done?
>
> I need to run a simple validation to a merchant account (which is
 quite easy
> in PERL or java) via SSL. Can I do this in PL/SQL, or do I need to
 use
> something else?
>
> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated,
>
> JR

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 07:20:51 CST