Re: statement caching in oracle

From: <hailey_kyle_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 18:52:23 GMT

Sorry about the last blank message - I use Deja instead of a newsreader and it does some funky things because of time outs.

Why do you think the statement is not kept on the server side ie the shared pool? The statement should be there until it gets aged out. If you want to ensure that it is not aged out you could use dbms_shared_pool.keep.

I haven't played with JDBC much, certainly not testing cursor caching dynamics, but in general if you close the cursor on the client side and then reopening it, then there will be a certain amount of work to redo such as rights and setting private cursor info before you can reuse the shared part of the cursor, as well as latching/pinning the shared parts of the cursor that should still be in the shared pool.

On the client side, ie shadow proccess, as I understand it, if you close the cursor, odds are you are going to reuse that memory in the shadow, so if you reopen the cursor you will have to read it out of the shared pool into the shadow again thus the need for pinning and latching.

Basically I'm just curious what stats you were looking at that lead you to believe more work is being done than neccesary.

Thanks
Kyle

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 12:52:23 CST