HELP: LOB objects in SQL queries

From: Uwe Tueben <tueben.uwe_at_terrific.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 07:31:46 GMT

Hi there!

I'm trying to "back up" an Oracler database scheme by simply moving all data to a mirror database using PowerBuilder "DataPipelines"
(program objects based on SQL queries which can move data from a
source database to a target according to predefined rules).

My problem: There are two tables with CLOB(4000) columns in my database scheme and these columns can not be integrated into SQL queries within the PowerBuilder environment.

Although I don't know much about the physical structure of Oracle databases I've read that only a LOB locator is stored in a LOB column. The LOB object or value is stored elsewhere. I guess that this might be the reason for my problem.

Can anybody give me a hint how to move LOB data the way I want to do it? For example it would be fine if I could convert the CLOB(4000) columns to VARCHAR2(4000) columns.

Oh, by the way: The source database is Oracle 8.1.5, the target 8.0.4
(which will be migrated to 8.1.6 in during the next days).

Thanks in advance,

    Uwe. Received on Tue Jan 30 2001 - 01:31:46 CST