Cannot drop an index with a mixed-cased name

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:11:33 +0800

Dear all,

We have a table BTRX with a unique index PrimaryKey (its name is PrimaryKey, but it is not a primary key index, however). I can select it from USER_TABLES, ALL_TABLES, and DBA_TABLES, but I cannot drop it or rename it with the following SQL commends:

drop index PrimaryKey;
alter index PrimaryKey rename to PRIMARYKEY;

Both return the message: ORA-01418: the index doesn't exist.

The odd thing is all indexes come with all-upper-case names except for this one, and I cannot do anything to it without dropping the underlined table. Doesn't it look like a ghost haunting?

Anyone has comments? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dino Received on Mon Jan 29 2001 - 21:11:33 CST