Re: How to reset Sequence values ?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:11:03 +0800

Brian Peasland wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I'm not sure why you are seeing the inconsistent results that you are
> getting. One idea might be to check how many sequence values are cached.
> That may make some difference somewhere down the line. FYI, my platform
> was Oracle 8.1.7 on NT.
>
> Dropping & recreating appears to be the only way to consistently reset
> the sequence number. And it's quick and easy!!!!
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Brian
>
> Doug O'Leary wrote:
> >
> > Hey;
> >
> > I appreciate the info. Your example doesn't seem to match what I'm
> > seeing though - at least not completely. This morning, when I posted my
> > message, my keys.nextval was reporting something in the 90s... After
> > resetting last_number to 1, keys.nextval is incrementing from 1.
> >
> > Now, however, when I try to push it forward, it's still incrementing from
> > where I left it - as your example showed.
> >
> > This doesn't seem consistent. You can apparently set it back, but not
> > forward? I agree, going with the drop/recreate is probably the safer
> > approach.
> >
> > Thanks again for the tip.
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > --
> > -------------------
> > Douglas K. O'Leary
> > Senior System Admin
> > dkoleary_at_mediaone.net
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

One thing all the post to 'solve' this problem that is a little bothersome is the importance the original poster seems to be placing the value of the sequences...

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"