Re: Newbie

From: Kevin McDaniel <kmcdaniel96_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:40:16 GMT

Hey Dan,

I, too, am brand new to Oracle and preparing for OCP DBA certification. I've taken the Oracle U. Intro to Oracle: SQL and PL/SQL class, then took the exam, TWICE, and passed. I'm starting the Admin class tomorrow at Oracle U. I've found the class to be somewhat consistent with Steve's review. I would also add that for us newer folks, they move extremely quickly through the material, making it difficult to grasp "the big picture" during class. The very first book I purchased to help me decide if this was the right choice, was Oracle DBA 101. The first chapter or two has an excellent summary of what it means to be a DBA. However, you'll find the remainder of the book "Greek" until you've moved forward in your classes.

I might recommend that you buy Oracle 8i, The Complete Reference by Kevin Loney. This book significantly improved my preparation for the Intro exam (I bought it before the retake exam). When your serious about this choice, you can get a REALLY good deal on Oracle books from www.booksonline.com. But be warned, this is a book club that gives you a deal on three expensive Oracle books (for only $9.99) as long as you buy another book at regular price within 12 months. Personally, with the number of books I buy, I find this to be a very good buy.

Good luck, Dan. Received on Sun Jan 28 2001 - 09:40:16 CST