Re: Silent install of 8i on Unix

From: Edward Rusu <erusu_at_softcomputer.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:43:06 -0500

> Has anyone managed to successfully do an 8i installation on Unix, using a
> response file in silent mode. I want to be able to do an installation
> without using an X emulator or X terminal. Has anyone done this, and if
 so,
> could you explain how ?

I do it when I have to install Oracle using only modem connection. Funny thing that runInstaller program has to establish connection to X-Window client even in "silent" mode. I hope you have a response file already,
so I'll give some tips how to do the rest.

  1. Install Motif on your UNIX server.
  2. Install and start a X-Window client (Exceed, PC-Xware) on your PC machine or XVNC (freeware for AIX http://www.xvnc.com ) on your UNIX server
  3. export DISPLAY=hostname:port
  4. runInstaller -silent -responseFile youresponsefile.rsp

PS Your response file may have option to start DB Assistant and Net8 assistant,
make sure you suppress there from running unless you have response files for assistant programms.

Good luck,
Edward Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 15:43:06 CST