Copy DB From UNIX to Win2K? Hard to do?

From: Dan Read <danielread_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:34:21 GMT

Hello,

Hoping someone can offer some advice. Let me start by saying that I am not a DBA, nor am I an Oracle expert by any means. I am a Windows developer. I work in a large company, and us developers are pretty well isolated from the database by a layer of DBAs. We have a database that is right now on Oracle 8.0.5 on a UNIX box. We have a new departmental Win2K box that will have Oracle 8i on it (sorry, I don't know the exact version number).

We want to copy our database from the UNIX box to our new Win2K box. My problem is that we are being told that this is a very difficult to accomplish, which I just find very hard to believe. Is it truly a big deal to copy an 8.0.5 database on a UNIX box to 8i on a Win2K box? I have to believe that Oracle provides utilities/scripts (or at the very least instructions) for doing this sort of thing. People must have to do it all the time. Why should this be difficult?

Any insights?

Thanks,
Dan Read

(Please reply to the group, but if you would prefer e-mail, please use XXdanielread_at_yahoo.com -- remove the XX.)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 25 2001 - 09:34:21 CST