Automating login from MS Access front end

From: Ernie DeVries <Ernie.DeVries_at_nau.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:41:44 -0700

I have an MS Access97 database which includes Oracle tables as linked tables. The first time I access one of the linked Oracle tables I am prompted to provide the user id and password. Once the login has been accomplished, the connection remains live and the information for login is cached. I want to be able to provide this information programmatically so that my users aren't aware that I'm retrieving external data in the background. Getting the user id and password is no problem. The challenge is providing it so that the user won't get prompted by the ODBC data source the first time a connection is made.

I've been able to do this using an ODBCDirect type connection, but I really need to be able to use a query that I developed in Access' query builder and that goes against the linked table to select records.

I know this is more of an Access question than an Oracle question, but I'm hoping that there is someone here with experience in using Access as a front-end to Oracle and can provide me with some direction on this project. Received on Thu Jan 25 2001 - 17:41:44 CST