Re: PRAGMA RESTRICT_REFERENCES question

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:50:58 GMT

In article <94o75c$ftc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   gmei_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Could someone tell me what is the "advantage" of using PRAGMA
> RESTRICT_REFERENCES, such as WNDS and WNPS, and why do you "want to"
 use
> it in certain case? I am reading this part in Steven Feuerstein's
 Oracle
> PL/SQL Programming book and would like to clarify it a bitter.
>
> Is there an example that one would want to use the PRAGMA in the
 package
> code and why?
>
> TIA.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

You usually MUST use this when you have a function which you want to use in a select, insert or whatever.
The pragma guarantees your function doesn't update the database. If you don't do this, Oracle will consider your function unsafe and generate an error.
This feature/restriction/problem has been removed in Oracle 8i.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply