Re: extra table in from clause

From: <pankrateon_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:30:28 GMT

The code is complicated and the underlining tables are too. It would take lots of time to decribe all that needs to be, in order to make the problem clear.

My basic issue is that somewhere I'm not norrowing down my column joins and when I sum a column in one of the tables my results are thrice what they should have been. This is consistent, that the summed number is 3 times larger then the correct answer.

In article <94n9cf$kd5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   steveee_ca_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is it you're trying to do? Maybe if you post your SQL,
> we'll have a better idea..if the table you're adding is totally
> unrelated to the other joined tables, you 'll get a Cartesian product,
> the set of all possible combinations because you haven't specified
> anything to limit the records returned through a join. That said,
> there is probably a way of achieving what you need, but you may just
> need a new approach.
>
> Even the version of Oracle you're using has an impact on the possible
> solutions (in line views etc) and you haven't posted that..
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Steve
>
> In article <94n8pc$jpv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> pankrateon_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > how do I avoid doing a cartesian prodcut with a join?
> >
> > I'm doing a query and when I add an extra table in the from clause
> > without adding a where condition that does a join on any of the
> > columns with in that extra table, example:
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
> >

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/