Re: User Interaction

From: Jining Han <hanj_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:19:33 GMT

In article <Xns90279CFBD2B47destesstatepaus_at_209.155.56.95>,   destes_at_state.pa.us.CANNEDMEAT (David E. Estes) wrote:
> I'm working on a system that will import data from a flat file into
 an
> Oracle database. I'm modelling my system on an existing one that
 reads from
> a file w/ a fixed name; I've got a handle on how to work with the
 UTL_FILE
> package. The problem I'm encountering is this: I need to provide the
 user
> with a method of selecting a file from a specific directory. The
 data
> directory is fixed and will never change; what I need to do is
 provide the
> user with a list of the files to be imported, and allow them to
 choose the
> file to be processed.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave
>
> --
> David E. Estes
> Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
> Department of Public Welfare
> Office of Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services
> Remove the spaces from the addres below
> E-Mail: DEstes @ state.pa.us

Sounds like the file list comes from existing (pre-defined) files, then can't you simply save the file names in a table?

If you also allow your users to specify their own files, append these file names into the file name table.

Hope this opens the door to a lot more better ideas.

--
Jining Han
Sallie Mae

Sent via Deja.com