Re: Access and Oracle stored procedures

From: Larry MacNeill <Larry.MacNeill_at_uchsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:07:34 -0700

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3A6CFB50.1D86A80C_at_exesolutions.com>...

> > How do you run a stored procedure and a function using Access 2000 and
ODBC?
> > Access 97 information would be useful, too.

> Excuse me for not being able to answer your question but I am intrigued.
Why

> would you want to? Oracle is the post powerful relational database around
and

> you are trying to front-end it with one of the clunkiest examples of a
database

> I have seen since before dBASE III+.

> Why don't you get Oracle's Discoverer if you are doing reports or
Developer

> Forms if you are doing data entry?

No, I don't like Access, either. Microsoft has gotten much more than its foot in the door by giving the university a very good deal for MS Office. Consequently, MS Access is everywhere and most folks are familiar with it. I'm a Delphi fan myself but, except for Oracle, this is a Microsoft shop. I've been studying stored procedures in order to make the Access client as thin as possible and to minimize our dependence on it by using it only for the presentation layer. That'll make adding or even switching clients later easier.

By the way, I found the answer in a Visual FoxPro knowledge base article. Use a pass-through SQL query of the form {call sp_myproc}. Include the braces and (since it's not SQL) exclude the semicolon. Furthermore, Oracle's ODBC driver doesn't do stored functions and doesn't do procedures with OUT parameters. I haven't begun studying Oracle's Forms and Reports but I suppose that they use Oracle's native protocol and can deal with returned values. Received on Tue Jan 23 2001 - 12:07:34 CST