Re: Query Performance.

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:10:05 GMT

> I am curious to know why adding extra things to the query (I.E. The
> view) shaved off 3 to 4 seconds.

You'll answer your own question, and learn a lot about query optimization if you check out the EXPLAIN PLAN of the original query and the modified query. There could be a couple of reasons why the query executed faster.

  1. Adding the "extra things" caused the optimizer to use an index. This sped up the query.
  2. Adding the "extra things" caused the optimizer to *NOT* use an index. This sped up the query.

These aren't the only reasons. Without seeing the EXPLAIN PLANs, it's hard for anyone to say as everything else is pure speculation.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at