Re: SQL Select TOP in Oracle

From: <mikedba_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 03:17:10 GMT

Niall and Mike:

Here's the kind of application in which we think we need this ability to detect already-locked records in our query:

The user's are editing many records that all meet the same criteria. That is, the record is missing values in a specific field. They do not care what record they get next, as long as it needs to be edited and is not being edited by anybody else at the moment.

If you can suggest a different approach to this, I'd gladly hear of it. We're considering just downloading 1000 records at a time, from the Solaris/Oracle box, to an Access MDB on the NT side, then manage concurrency in the MDB. Then just batch the modified records back to Oracle and get the next 1000.

If this sounds suspect, or perhaps idiotic, please fire away. There will be 3 to 10 users at a time, and they've got hundreds of thousands of records to fix. Mostly just putting data in a few text fields.

mIKE

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 23 2001 - 21:17:10 CST