Re: Installing 8.1.6 client on Windows 2000 Pro

From: <swampy00_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:06:36 GMT

Pntium 4 with win 2000?

Oracle *will* be supporting installations of all products on Pentium IV-based machines very shortly. The old ALERT containing the clumsy workaround has been pulled, and two new workarounds are currently being evaluated. One of the new workarounds simply consists of renaming a single file - symcjit.dll - and then
proceeding with the installation.

Oracle QA is currently doing ongoing testing with this issue. Below is the orig. note I beleve may be pulled shortly.

<Note:131299.1>

Oracle Installer 8.1.X Hangs on Machines with Pentium 4 Processors

This alert was modified 16-January-2001 by specifying specific Oracle Universal
Installer Versions in the the Versions Affected section.

Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) for 8.1.x Hangs on Machines with Pentium 4
Processors

Versions Affected

Oracle 8.1.5

Oracle Universal Installer 1.6.0.9.0

Oracle 8.1.6

Oracle Universal Installer 1.7.0.19.0

Oracle 8.1.7

Oracle Universal Installer 1.7.1.9.0

Platforms Affected

 Any platform that uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor, with the Sun JRE  and Symmantec JIT will encounter this problem. Windows NT, Windows 2000
 and NetWare platforms are confirmed to be affected.

Description

 When installing Oracle Products with the Oracle Universal Installer (8.1.x)
 on machines that use the Sun JRE and Symmantec JIT, the installer hangs.

 Specifically for the Windows platform, the following version of the Symmantec
 JIT or earlier will encounter the failure:

  Symantec Java! JustInTime Compiler Version 3.10.107 for JDK 1.2.

 Details regarding this issue can be found at:

http://developer.intel.com/design/processor/future/manuals/knownissue.ht m

How to determine if you have Symmantec Java for JDK 1.2:

1. Select the file "symcjit.dll" and right click on it.
2. Select Properties, then the Version tab.
3. Under Microsoft Windows*, the properties of the DLL are:
     "Symantec Java! JustInTime Compiler Version 3.10.107 for JDK 1.2
Copyright (C)
     1996-99 Symantec Corporation Dynamic Link Library file".

   DLLs older than this will also not work. "

Likelihood of Occurrence

 Any platform that uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor, with the Sun JRE  and Symmantec JIT will encounter this problem. Windows NT,  Windows 2000 and NetWare platforms are confirmed to be affected.

Possible Symptoms

The failure typically is that the affected application simply terminates.

Workaround

 Not only will OUI be affected by this bug, most of the post-install  configuration tools will also be affected. Running these tools with "-nojit"
 specified will avoid the hang, but it is not simple to specify "-nojit" for
 some of the products.

 The following workaround works for the Windows operating system:

  1. Copy only the install directory from the CD to the hard disk ,say, e:\temp.
  2. Open oraparam.ini and make the following modifications (Assuming CD drive is f:)
    • Change the "SOURCE=" line to use the full path to the CD instead of a

   relative path. (i.e., SOURCE=f:\stage\products.jar)

JRE_LOCATION=f:\stage\Components\oracle\swd\jre\1.1.7\1\DataFiles\Expand ed)

OUI_LOCATION=f:\stage\Components\oracle\swd\oui\1.6.0.9.0\1\DataFiles\Ex panded

 Choose a Custom install and choose not to create a database during the  install. This way, the Database Configuration Assistant will not be launched
 during installation.

 The Net8 Configuration Assistant will still be launched, and there is no way
 to suppress it. You will need to kill the Net8 Configuration Assistant if it
 hangs due to the bug. The installation still will have been successful, and
 you can run the DBCA and NetCA after installation.

 To kill NetCA if it hangs during installation:  In the "Configuration Tools" window, highlight the "Net8 Configuration  Assistant" and click "Stop". If that does not work, look for the most recent
 JRE process using the Task Manager, and kill it manually. NOTE: the OUI
 itself will also have a jre process. Be sure to kill the one with the most
 recent date, which should be the jre process being used for Net8CA, not the
 one for OUI itself.

 After killing the configuration tools and continuing through the installation
 to the "End of Installation" screen, you should modify the configuration tools
 to use "-nojit", then call the appropriate tools from the Start Menu.

 Once installation is complete, each of the following files in the ORACLE_HOME
 needs to be modified:

 assistants\dbca\dbassist.cl
 assistants\dbma\dbmig.cl
 assistants\ifa\ifa.cl

 bin\elogin.cl
 bin\owm.cl
 ldap\oidamdin\oidadmin.cl
 network\tools\netasst.cl
 network\tools\netca.cl

 owm\install\instelogin.cl
 owm\install\instowm.cl

 Edit the contents of the above files to add "-nojit" as shown below:  Command=("C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\BIN\JREW" -nojit -classpath

          this is the only thing you need to add  --> ^^^^^^

 Then, launch the necessary tools, like Net8CA and DBCA from the Start Menu.

Patches

 Currently there is not a patched installer available to deal with this  problem, the workaround listed above must be used.