Re: Very URGENT! Tablespace Extent Problem w/ Import

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:35:14 +1100

All I can say is you've been bloody lucky: it's not a text file (and there wouldn't be a log option or an indexfile option if it were).

But clearly, there's a risk I'm just being a bit of an old woman on this one... so I've just tested it. Export database...drop EMP....import EMP... success.

Make one change to the dump file (in this case, change EMP's Initial Extent from 64K to 32K) in notepad, and save. Drop EMP....import EMP.... import bombs out with complaints about the character set used in the dump file.

Er, did I back up the original dump file... did I buggery... I am now EMP-less!! Cheers, Dave! (OK, I admit, it wasn't your fault).

This is boring Windows 2000, and ye veritable notepad, 8.1.6. But I think my point is that (1) this is not recommended by Oracle (2) it's strongly dis-recommended by Oracle (3) it's stuffed up 100% of the times I've ever attempted it (not just this little test) and (4) it's not the kind of thing I'd recommend to newbies or the desperate.

HJR "Dave Haas" <davehaas_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:94j0h1$3vf$1_at_news3.cadvision.com...
> Hi Howard.
>
> I have edited MANY dump files with text editors (both Unix & NT) and have
> never had a problem. Granted the 'create table first' solution was
 probably
> better, but for small changes it sometimes seems easier to just edit the
> dump file.
>
> I was also trying to explain the problem a little bit :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Haas
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Knut Talman" <knut_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message
 dump
 file