Re: Very URGENT! Tablespace Extent Problem w/ Import

From: Knut Talman <knut_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:30:59 +0100

> Dave, have you ever edited an expdat.dmp file, and then proceeded to import
> successfully? I only ask because the data that is inserted by all those
> "insert into" statements is binary encoded, and text-editing the dump file
> is almost guaranteed to stuff that encoding up (and hence lose your data).
>
> The dump file most certainly isn't a text file, and should never be treated
> as such. I guess you might get away with it once in a while, but I wouldn't
> bet on it as a long-termer.

If I may answer: I edited the dump files with a hex editor (khexedit) and wrote it back. I did not change the length of the file, just replaced the numbers in the STORAGE clause with my numbers. Until now there is no error from IMPORT (it is still running).
BTW, my Linux workstation could not edit the file due to a lack of memory, so I did it on the server.

Cheers,

Knut Received on Mon Jan 22 2001 - 21:30:59 CST