Re: ASP and LONGs

From: Rand 'al Thor <randalthor_at_camelyn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:17:31 GMT

Thanks for the article. It dealt with RAW and LONG RAW datatypes. I am not an Oracle expert but I believe they are used like a BLOB in SQL Server for image data and the like. I think a LONG (not LONG RAW) is used for text. My problem is storing and retrieving large amounts of text > than the 4000k you can put in a VARCHAR2. I tried the Binary Write method as well as the GetChunck method and I have had probelms with each.

BinaryWrite doesn't seem to work on type LONG. And I can use GetChunck and loop through a CLOB if it holds a lot of data. If I put only a small amount of data in a CLOB the GetChunck doesn't work.