grant creates users?

From: Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:07:31 -0800

Hey;

I'm slowly and steadily working my way through the Oracle dba handbook & oracle DBA 101 books. One of the things suggested is keeping all users out of the system tablespace. When I look at where each segment is, I noticed that user scott has segments in the system tablespace.

Being relatively new to this, I'm not sure how to move scott's tables to the correct location - yet - so the easiest resolution (for me) would be to edit the scripts that created him to use the proper tablespaces, drop scott, and simply regenerate him (and his cohorts) from scratch.

So, I find the utlsampl.sql in ${ORACLE_HOME}/rdbms/admin and edit it. These are the lines that have me perplexed:

DROP USER SCOTT CASCADE;
[[snip - no create user lines though ]]
GRANT CONNECT,RESOURCE,UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO SCOTT IDENTIFIED BY TIGER; Curious, I say to myself. So I try it:

SQL> grant connect to biteme identified by biteme;

Sure enough, there's a user named biteme in the database now. Looking on OTN, though, the documentation for grant says nothing about the ability to create new users with it. Is this one of those undocumented features or did I hit the wrong documentation?

Anybody actually using this feature? I'm suspecting I should avoid it...

Any info greatly appreciated...

Doug

--
Douglas K. O'Leary