How to get Oracle server patch/update information?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:49:18 +0800

Dear all,

At present, I get Oracle server patch/update information from Oracle service persons, Oracle web site (www.oracle.com) and collegues from other countries. I have been through the following events:

1.Windows NT SP4 is not certified for Oracle 8.0.5 (not any more now)
2.The patch 8.0.5.2.6 can solve the 4G data file crash problem
3.Microsoft released patch 6a, I don't know whether this is certified
or not, and I don't why it's 6a, not 6
4.I check up the Oracle web site for 8.0.5.2.6 (press download), but there are no 16M 8.0.5.2.6 any more, there is, stead, a 200M 8.0.6. 5.In the meantime, at least 3 Oracle 8i versions are released: 8.1.5, 8.1.6, and 8.1.7, they are also called R1/R2/R3 of 8i (In this analogy, 8.0.6 should be Oracle8 R2?)

The problem is that I cannot have a whole picture about the history of the updates/patches, the choices that I have (to stay with the current installation, to upgrade with a patch, to upgrade with an update, or to upgrade to the next version) which we can make decisions according to requirements, disk space, and the man power and the amount of time we have to do the conversions. Moreover, I think we need to be notified of any update/patch events so that we know our choices in time. I know there are so many Oracle users out there, please kindly provide your precious ideas, opinions or advices. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dino Received on Sat Jan 20 2001 - 22:49:18 CST