Re: Why tablespace Full?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:43:03 GMT

It can be reused. For sorting, SYS grabs hold of temporary segments. A user process then performs its sort in that temp segment owned by SYS. Once the user process is done sorting, SYS continues to hold on to that temp segment for the next sort. This way, SYS does not have to allocate and deallocate temp segments.

It is curious that you wrote "I have tried to restart the DB but the problem still exist." When you bring down the db, SYS releases it's temp segments. It will then allocate the segment after startup, but only for the first requested disk sort. You must have checked after a disk sort was requested.

HTH,
Brian

Antony Mak wrote:

> I have found that it is a temporary segment for sorting. But why the
> tablespace can not be reuse by others and continue to extent?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Antony

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at