Re: index

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:03:26 GMT

In article <946kbb$e7i$1_at_nn-os105.ocn.ad.jp>,   "sang" <sang_at_technical-e.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
> where can i find document for index details?
>
> My table is big and i want to use index of table,
> but the comment about index is not enough,
> oh, oracle's help is not good.
>
> Thanks in advance

It might help if you referenced the Manual, chapter, and section for the comment causing you concern.

In general indexes are valuable where you will know the value of one or more columns and the number of rows that will have these values is a small percentage of the entire table. Indexes can only be used when the indexed column(s) are referenced in the where clause of SQL statements. If the columns meet this condition then they are canidates for being indexed. There are other considerations, but the above should provide a starting point.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/