Question about MS SQL to Oracle conversion - Temp Tables in Procs

From: Preston Crawford <prestoncREMOVESPAMBLOCK_at_crawfordsolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:07:50 GMT

I'm working at a company currently that uses a primarily Oracle environment. So I'm becoming familiar with Oracle right now. As I do, I'm still doing some work on a temporary database using MS SQL Sever 7.0 and writing a few, very generic queries that I'll hopefully be able to port over without trouble. I ran into one today, though, where the best way I can see to do it is with a temporary table. I wanted to know if there is a way to create temporary tables within stored procedures in Oracle. Specifically, I believe we are using Oracle 7.1.3 (or something to that effect.) So before I embark on doing this, I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas, opinions on this. Even including how to avoid using these.

My reason for using them is I'm writing a web app where records are paged through. It's handy to use a temp table to page because the temp table can have a counter field that you can reliably use to select records between a range for the sake of paging. Any ideas?

Preston Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 12:07:50 CST