Re: SELECT from DUAL??

From: Marc Billiet <someone.overthere_at_living>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:45:01 GMT

In Forms 5, there is a difference between 'select sysdate into variable

from dual' and 'variable := sysdate'. The first assigns the system dat e
of the database server to the variable, and the latter the date of the

client. In Forms 6i and 4.5, both retrieve the server date. In other cases, I don't see a reason to get the sysdate by selecting fro m
dual. Maybe it's a habit which dates from Oracle 6, when PL/SQL did not

exist yet.

Marc

Op 2001-01-17, 23:56:20, schreef "Joseph Ranseth" <jransethNO SPAM_at_hotmail.com> over het thema SELECT from DUAL??: