Re: SELECT from DUAL??

From: Johnnie Leung <jsleung_at_telecom-digest.zzn.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:45:01 -0800

"Mark Wagoner" <mwagoner_at_iac.net> wrote in message news:945d1e$h8m$1_at_genma.iac.net...
> None that I can figure. In fact, I would assume an assignment statement
> would be faster because it is processed by the PL/SQL engine and the
 select
> from dual would require a switch to the SQL engine.

Not to mention the type limitations you would run into when using a select statement (no PL/SQL types such as boolean and table, 2000/4000 character limit with character type variables, etc).

> I have heard that in SQL Server you have to do this instead of direct
> assignments. Maybe the previous programmer came from a M$ background?

I haven't had any exposure to SQL Server, but I sometimes use the select construct, either for a little variety, or to use some functions, such as decode(), that are not available in PL/SQL.

JL Received on Wed Jan 17 2001 - 22:45:01 CST