Question about the ALWAYS_ANTI_JOIN init parameter

From: Tobin M. Johnson <johnsont_at_wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:58:08 GMT

I'm looking for specifics about the differences between the three possible values for the ALWAYS_ANTI_JOIN parameter. It appears that the default is NESTED_LOOPS, and seems to work OK on our system, but what about the MERGE and HASH values? I know they will change how queries are executed, but how much different will they be?

Specifics about the system I'm talking about:
- DB engine runs with OPTIMIZER_MODE=RULE (for reasons I'll not get
  into with this post, I cannot change this value).
- The system is an OLTP system, typically with about 10GB of data
  spread over 280 tables, about 100 of which are large and/or high   volume.
- Using Oracle 7.3, Oracle 8 and Oracle 8i on various systems.

Any insight you folks have will help me out.

Tobin Johnson
Oracle DBA
Catalyst International Received on Tue Jan 16 2001 - 19:58:08 CST