Re: Pictures in Oracle

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:18:15 GMT

Hi Howard:

    I'm curious about the slowdown you experienced. BLOBs are stored separately from the other table data, often in their own tablespace. When you scan the table and hit a BLOB, all you're supposed to be scanning, is the location of the BLOB data - not the entire BLOB.

    What happened to slow you down so much?

Van

PS the other poster is right. You can just store a pointer in a VARCHAR2 or whatever, but you don't get any of the Oracle "benefits" if you do. In particular, Oracle does not even check to see whether the location you're pointing to actually exists.