Re: TNSPing timeout

From: Zatherus <zatherus_at_theriver.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:56:39 -0700

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:41:40 GMT, handy_solo_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>I'm working with a remote database over a (apparently) slow link.
>Normal operations are tedious to say the least - but certainly
>still 'workable'. They just brought up another instance on another
>segment and now TNS times out on me - but I can't determine if it just
>doesn't wait long enough or if the Instance is truly unreachable. Yes,
>there's a firewall in the equation and the network admin swears up and
>down that it is not blocking me (port 1521).
>
>So, the question: Is there a parm that I can pass to tnsping that will
>tell it to keep trying for a longer duration?
>I see the args are:
> tnsping <address> [<count>]
>
>I'm hoping count is what I'm after, but after experimenting with it I
>sure don't think so... but thought I'd ask.
>
>[5 minutes later]
>
>Oops, ok - used tnsping to somewhere that I know I can reach. the
>count parm simply tells it how many times to 'ping'. So... how can I
>tell tns to try looking for a longer duration?!?
>

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

Just curious, is the database on NT? If so, the Firewall might be the problem. NT will not necessarily return the packets on the same port I am told. This is a feature of how NT works. Some firewalls know how to handle SQL*NET (NET80) but have to be set up first. Received on Sun Jan 14 2001 - 22:56:39 CST