TNSPing timeout

From: <handy_solo_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:41:40 GMT

I'm working with a remote database over a (apparently) slow link. Normal operations are tedious to say the least - but certainly still 'workable'. They just brought up another instance on another segment and now TNS times out on me - but I can't determine if it just doesn't wait long enough or if the Instance is truly unreachable. Yes, there's a firewall in the equation and the network admin swears up and down that it is not blocking me (port 1521).

So, the question: Is there a parm that I can pass to tnsping that will tell it to keep trying for a longer duration? I see the args are:

   tnsping <address> [<count>]

I'm hoping count is what I'm after, but after experimenting with it I sure don't think so... but thought I'd ask.

[5 minutes later]

Oops, ok - used tnsping to somewhere that I know I can reach. the count parm simply tells it how many times to 'ping'. So... how can I tell tns to try looking for a longer duration?!?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Sun Jan 14 2001 - 19:41:40 CST