TNS Error Under Win 2K

From: Mark Riehl <mriehl_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:45:34 GMT

All,

I'm running 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition under Win 2k, SP1. This has happened consistently, I'd like to know if I'm missing something.

I can install 8.1.6 EE without a problem. I can get it up and running, connect using SQL*Plus from a DOS prompt, insert tables, make select calls, etc. Everything seems to be OK.

8.1.6 EE was fine by itself, but after installing WebDB or Forms, I started having the same problems. So, it went like this - fresh install of EE on new Win 2k, install WebDB, problem, fresh install of EE on new Win 2k, install Forms, problem.

When I run SQL*Plus off the command line, I get the following error:

ERROR:
ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

My TNS listener is up and running.

In between each of these installs, the disk was reformatted and Win 2K was reinstalled, so I started off fresh. Each time, the EE install went OK, and I could connect using SQL*Plus.

Questions:
1. What are WebDB and Forms doing to cause problems? I thought that I'd be OK running everything on the same machine. 2. Do I need to dedicate a machine to EE by itself? 3. Networking wise, what does the BEQ mode use for IPC? Is it a pipe?

Thanks,
Mark Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 14:45:34 CST