Re: JDBC PreparedStatements and Oracle sequences

From: Paul <paul_fountain_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:47:14 GMT

If you need to get the next sequence number you can use a statement like select last_number
from user_sequences
where sequence_name = 'mysequence';
do a desc on the table and have a look;
You do need to be a little careful with last_number though so look into how it works and how nextval and currval.

select mysequence.currval from dual will also do it but you have to have done a nextval before you can access a currval.

I'm not sure I'd wan't to do this in the way you describe although there are sure to be some legitimate reasons to do it. I'd be inclined to insert the record first using mysequnce.nextval in the insert statement and then query the column you've used the sequence for to get the value. That way you get your sequence number and you've checked that the record has been entered.

Hope I've been of some help.

regards

Paul

In article <93knh6$mh2$1_at_nntp6.u.washington.edu>,   "Chuck" <cabenson_at_u.washington.edu> wrote:
> I am taking data from a form in a Java app and populating an Oracle
 table
> through a JDBC connection. Before I insert a new record through the
 Java
> app, I need to know what the current value of the sequence is in
 Oracle
> (mysequence.currval).
>
> So, the app needs to query the database for the current sequence value
 in
> the database and then use this value to do a record insertion from the
> application.
>
> Any suggestions on how to query the database for this value?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 18:47:14 CST