Re: Does anyone run Linux 8i or Redhat 7.0?

From: Victor Ortega <vor+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:55:39 -0500

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Preston Crawford wrote:
> Sorry for the crosspost, but I'm trying to learn Oracle on Linux and I had a
> problem with installation last night and I was wondering if anyone here has
> installed Oracle 8i on Redhat 7.0. I bought a book last night titled Oracle
> 8i for Linux Starter Kit. The directions helped, but I still got stuck. I
> was able to get through most of the install, but when it went to install the
> default database it choked and said it couldn't connect to the server or
> something like that, and thus couldn't create the default DB. I tried to log
> in as System and it kept throwing errors. So I was wondering, before I dive
> back into this tonight, if anyone has a link to a mini-howto or something
> that might help me get past some common mistakes that are made with this
> configuration. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I had quite a few problems installing Oracle 8.1.5 on a RedHat 6.2 system (Intel); the database, in particular, never installed. I heard from some co-workers that the 8.1.5 installer (and probably the version as a whole) had some major bugs, so I just deleted it and installed a clean copy of 8.1.6. It installed flawlessly, database and all. Give that a shot, if you can get it.

Victor Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 17:55:39 CST