Re: odbc and Oracle

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:45:36 GMT

In article <93epgu$dbj$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   dave <dreaburn_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> I want to connect to an Oracle instance via ODBC. On my PC it works
> fine as I've got Oracle client installed.
>
> On other PC's, I tried setting up an ODBC entry using the Microsoft
> ODBC for Oracle driver (ver 2.573.4202) but it states that you have to
> install the Oracle client software first.
>
> Is this the only way? I don't know much about ODBC but I thought the
> point was that you don't have to install the vendors client library.

Yes, you'll have to install the Oracle client on your machine before ODBC will work. ODBC is designed to give users access to all databases with a single API, but that API has to live on top of the native API.

Justin Cave

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 09 2001 - 10:45:36 CST