Re: ORACLE CURSORS

From: <brianjh_deja_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:20:55 GMT

Thanks,

This will get me started. The commands are compiling which is further than i was.

I'm looking through the massive 1300 page "ORACLE8 The Complete Reference" and not finding those commands listed. I don't get it. Creating procedures and cursors are basic functions. This seems very complicated (at least compared to MS SQLServer).

arrghh!

Thanks again!

In article <93fttu$9g2$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Scott Metzger <scottmetzger_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> I am not sure about DBA Studio but here is one way to declare and use
> cursor in a Oracle Procedure:
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE "BRIAN"."OSP_CAPITALIZE_FIRST_CHAR" IS
> MyCursor INTEGER;
> MyField Varchar2(100);
> Dummy INTEGER;
> BEGIN
> /* Open the cursors */
> MyCursor := DBMS_SQL.OPEN_CURSOR;
>
> */
> DBMS_SQL.PARSE(MyCursor,
> 'Select MyField from MyTable',DBMS_SQL.V7);
> DBMS_SQL.DEFINE_COLUMN(MyCursor, 1, MyField, 100);
> Dummy := DBMS_SQL.EXECUTE(MyCursor);
> Dummy := DBMS_SQL.FETCH_ROWS(MyCursor);
> DBMS_SQL.COLUMN_VALUE(MyCursor, 1, MyField);
> DBMS_SQL.CLOSE_CURSOR(MyCursor);
> END;
> /
>
> In article <93ft0q$8sm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> brianjh_deja_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > i'm trying to create a procedure that declares a cursor in DBA
 Studio.

> > CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE "BRIAN"."OSP_CAPITALIZE_FIRST_CHAR" IS
> > BEGIN
> > cursor cursor1 is select * from customers;
> > END;
> >
> > Here's the generated text. But I'm getting the following error on
> > compile.
> >
> > Help would be appreciated. THANKS!!
> >
> > ERROR:
> > Line # = 3 Column # = 11 Error Text = PLS-00103: Encountered the
> > symbol "CURSOR1" when expecting one of the following:
> > Line # = 4 Column # = 1 Error Text = PLS-00103: Encountered the
> > symbol "END" when expecting one of the following:
> > begin function package pragma procedure subtype type use
> > <an identifier> <a double-quoted delimited-identifier> cursor
> > form current
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com